Monday, June 8, 2009

Birth Watch 1

This small traveler has always had an impeccable sense of timing. I should trust it by now!

It began to grow just after I submitted What a Body Knows for production, and was due to be born the same week as the book came out. It took root in the fall, when every other living thing was pulling its energy inward and underground, preparing for spring birth.

The morning sickness it stirred paced me through an endless editing process, ebbing just in time for me to be able to imagine dancing Genesis. Over the winter, its pull on my eyelids narrowed my focus to the writing I so wanted to do on a next book--farm life love. The first pass is now done.

Then, as the due date approached, it did not come when Jessica was on her environmental club overnight. It did not interfere with Jordan's community service project. It is not keeping Kyra from today's much-anticipated field trip to the Washington County Fair museum and ice cream shop. It refused to interrupt the interviews I have scheduled, last week or today (check out WKXLO in Lewiston, MT at 12:15 EST)!.

Already, it is proving capable of finding its way through the family maze.

Now it is one week late. So what do I do??

One of the personnel at the health club where I have been swimming--a woman with five children--told me that her fifth was thirteen days late. While waiting, she was so frustrated that she took down the changing table.

I can think of some other things to do!

Meanwhile, Jordan and Jessica have exams through Wednesday which they don't want to miss. Given how considerate this little one is, I am thinking... maybe Thursday?

No comments: