Saturday, June 13, 2009

Birth Watch 5

Everytime the telephone rings, we are sure it is the stork, calling to tell us that our bundle of joy has arrived. We placed our order months ago, shouldn't it be here by now?

Truth be told, the waiting is getting a mite harder. It would be easier, I think, if it weren't for those pesky expectations.

Yes, I've been expecting for months now. But I have been expecting a delivery somewhere on or around my "due" date! Sure, the first three children were all late, but the fourth popped out right on time, an efficient fellow. I was thinking that he was a trend, not an exception.

So much for thinking.

So I try to breathe away my expectations and just enjoy. Receive. Trust that the little one will come when he or she is ready. Mom is healthy. Baby is healthy. No problem! And then I experience another contraction... which pulls all those expectations right back into view. How about now?

Tired of trying not to expect, I take a different approach. As Geoff says: "Sometimes babes need to listen to their mommies." So I try talking to it and sending it pictures of the way out. It's really not so bad out here--a little noisy perhaps, but kind of nice too!

Perhaps I need to learn a different language.

Meanwhile, today was a beautiful day. We had no plans. No where to go. Nothing to do, except wait--I mean, enjoy. And so we did, topping it off with a long and lovely swim at a nearby pond.

Did I mention that we are ready?

No comments: